Home / TV & Film / Al Porter Takes Time Out

Al Porter Takes Time Out

Irish comedian Al Porter has personally decided to take ‘time away from the spotlight’ and has resigned from his daily show with broadcaster Today FM with “immediate effect” following allegations of inappropriate behaviour.

Porter said he was “ completely taken aback by reports in the media and on the social networks over the weekend, and by the scale and tone of the vitriol. While my conduct, which had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona may be regarded as offensive and unacceptable by many people, I at no time intended to upset anyone,” he said.

Porter said that “up until now, I had been unaware of these complaints or the impact of my conduct and I am truly sorry for any distress I may have caused in what I had regarded as light-hearted and good-natured circumstances. On legal advice, I cannot comment on specific allegations at the present time, I nonetheless sincerely apologise to anyone I may have genuinely offended”.

Al Porter has presented the lunchtime 12pm to 2.30pm show on Today FM since February this year. He is also the host of TV3 television show Blind Date, which started this October. On Saturday Today FM confirmed that Porter will be taking some “personal time” away from presenting his lunchtime radio show, following allegations of inappropriate behaviour made against the presenter. On Friday the radio station released a statement which said: “Today FM has spoken with Al Porter and his management team concerning these allegations. We take any comments of this nature extremely seriously. Likewise, we take the welfare of our presenters and staff extremely seriously” a spokesman said.

On Saturday evening TV3 cancelled a repeat broadcast of the final episode of Blind Date which aired last week. There has been no decision made on the fate of the new series planned for early 2018. The shows have already been recorded at the Helix Theatre in Dublin.

Al Porter is now standing aside from his role in this year’s Olympia Theatre Pantomime.

Ryan Andrews (Fair City) with Al Porter as Polly 

Pat Egan Management and Spotlight Productions released a statement this morning, reading; “Due to recent developments, Al Porter is standing aside from his role in this year’s Pantomime Polly and the Beanstalk at the Olympia Theatre.”

They added; “A replacement star will be announced shortly.” And the role has now been filled by ex Mrs Browns Boy star RORY COWAN 

Al Porter’s statement issued via social media concludes …

“I am very grateful to Today FM, the Olympia Panto and TV3 for the space and time I’ve been granted to deal with the situation. I have however come to the personal decision that I need time away from the spotlight after decades in the entertainment industry. 

To my family, colleagues, friends and fans I thank you for your many, many messages of support.”

Comments

comments

Check Also

Peter Kay Has Cancelled All Irish Shows

Peter Kay has cancelled all shows  at 3Arena, Dublin & SSE Arena Belfast 2019. He …